Friday 7 October 2011

One down.

I successfully completed my first week for third year. We haven't actually started anything yet as it was more of an introduction week but, an achievement none the less. The structure plan for the year is terrifying and left me wanting to run out of the lecture room screaming without a second thought or glance back, but I'm sure I'll get through it all somehow. Hopefully...
The work load will be huge this year as we're being pushed beyond our comfort zones in order to achieve higher as professionals as opposed to students. It will all be worth it and providing I keep on top of things it should be achievable.

On another note, in order to balance out the stress of my not so stressful introductory week, I had a little shopping trip to HMV. Never a good idea when trying to save money, but I did well with limiting my spending and only bought 3 albums and a poster for my room...
This is the poster that now fills the once bare wall in my room. I chose it because I love how simple it is, yet there is so much to look at at the same time, the contrast between the black and white background image and the array of rainbow coloured telephone boxes brings a creative but quite tranquil feel to the image at the same time.
The albums I bought were;

Ed Sheeran + Deluxe Edition
Ed Sheeran is one of my favourite artists for a number of reasons varying from his undeniably beautiful voice both recorded and live. The personal meaning behind his songs and every single lyric and his non celebrity approach to his music. This album is one of my favourite of the year so far, each song brings a different mood and emotion and the album as a whole completely captivates you. I had high hopes for this album after seeing him in June this summer and wasn't disappointed. Although interestingly, I dislike the album version of 'The City' in comparison to his acoustic version. The album version is a little too edited and some of the pureness is lost.


Laura Marling - A Creature I don't know.

I absolutely love Laura Marling, I often find myself being the only one in a group of friends who does, for reasons that I can never quite understand. My iTunes describes her music in the genre of rock, I however would place it in a genre more along the lines of acoustic/folk. This album again, was not disappointing in anyway, her hauntingly beautiful voice shines through in each song bringing deeper meaning to the obviously personal lyrics. Her recent live acoustic set on Radio 1 with Zane Lowe was what made me more determined to purchase this album. The album artwork I feel, reflects her music somewhat, simple on the surface but in actuality, complex and beautiful. Despite it taking me 20 minutes to remove the CD from the cardboard sleeve that it comes in opposed to plastic casing, I would definitely recommend this to anyone who likes Laura Marling or similar artists such as Mumford and sons, Ben Howard and Lucy Rose.
Foster the People - Torches
This was my third and final purchase. I love Foster the People, however I haven't heard much of their music other than the released tracks. I posted one of them on here a couple of weeks ago now - Helena Beat. I don't usually buy music unless I'm sure it's something I will enjoy thoroughly however, I had a feeling this wasn't going to disappoint me and took a chance with buying it. It is definitely one of my favourite albums of this year. There isn't a bad track, the entire album is consistently upbeat and provides endless tracks of 'feel good' music. There are many elements to Foster the People's music that makes me want to listen to them continuously, the building instrumental that can be heard between the heavier beats, the almost choral sound to their vocals at times and also their story like lyrics. I would definitely recommend this album, whether this is usually your type of music or not, there is something about it that you may find appealing.

Waste is one of my favourite tracks from the album, enjoy!







Jodie x





No comments:

Post a Comment