Wednesday 28 September 2011

Freshers! (Take 3)


This week is Freshers week for Southampton Solent university and despite the fact it's my third year of experiencing freshers week, it never loses the excitement. New people, a new year, new plans and of course, cheap alcohol...
However, I was surprised slightly by the mood within our group of friends, mixed in with the excitement of being back after the summer and the excitement of freshers was an obvious feeling of something less positive. It's starting to dawn on everyone that this is our last year of uni, our last year of freshers, our last year of spending time with some of the most amazing people we will ever meet. The people we have spent the last two years of our lives with. In less than a year we will be leaving it all behind, keeping hold of the memories and moving out into what will eventually become our careers. Our lives.
That in itself starts a whole other discussion, what to do next? I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to answer that question even after this year, I know what I want ideally. Knowing how to achieve it in the real world is still at this moment in time, beyond me.
I was unsure as to whether to go to university a couple of years ago, I wasn't sure it was what I wanted but I took a chance and on a personal level it is the best thing I have ever done. Yes I'll be gutted to leave it all behind, but I have gained so much more than I will lose. I discovered my passion, I've made some of the best friends and I've grown more as a person than I would ever have done without this experience.
This last year will be hard, but I plan to work hard, hold on to every memory, take ridiculous amounts of photos and be able to leave next July with no regrets or 'what if's'.. Bring on third (and final) year!

Jodie x

No comments:

Post a Comment